Position Posting: Helpline Coordinator (40 hours/week at $11.50/hour)
Asheville Humane Society, in partnership with the Buncombe County Animal Shelter, is currently seeking applicants for the full time, hourly position of Helpline Coordinator.
The Helpline Coordinator will respond to calls on the Helpline forwarded from dispatch, referred by Buncombe County Animal Control or directly from the county citizens. The Helpline Coordinator will provide information and resources to callers to help keep owned pets in their homes and to prevent the need for Animal Control Officer response to callers who are seeking resources and to reduce owner surrender at the shelter. The Helpline Coordinator will provide counseling in person to individuals needing to surrender their pets. He/she works directly under the Senior Manager of Community Solutions. This position will also work closely with the Humane Resource Coordinator, Community Pets Supervisor, Pet Retention Counselor, Community Pets Assistant, Community Solutions Transport Assistant, Program Assistant and Admissions Counselors.
This is a full time position, typically 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday; however, hours may vary depending on scheduling and organization needs.
- Associate’s degree or higher education preferred
- Strong computer knowledge and keyboarding skills
- Written and oral communication skills
- Ability to remain calm in tense/stressful situations
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to remain open-minded and respectful in all situations
The successful Helpline Coordinator will have:
- Knowledge of animal protection issues and commitment to the objective of the organization
- Strong animal handling skills and a working knowledge of pet behavior and medical issues
- Friendly, outgoing and pleasant demeanor
- Ability to multi-task and work on own initiative
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and balance multiple projects
- Ability to maintain composure and professional conduct during stressful situations
- Ability to remain open-minded and respectful regardless of cultural norms or language barrier
- Experience working with diverse and/or under-served communities strongly preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) strongly preferred
Asheville Humane Society and the Buncombe County Animal Shelter is an EEOC employer and a drug/alcohol and smoke-free work environment.
Please email resume and cover letter to egelb[at]ashevillehumane[dot]org.